Getting Started With The Examples On This Site

ZerOne
Site Admin

Many of the examples on this site will use Linux and Linux console commands to complete various tasks.

For these examples, I will be using the Debian (and Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu, Mint, and Armbian)
The CURL command is possibly the most used (and most useful) command in a lot of these tutorials, and as such it is highly recommended that you install this command before getting started
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install curl

If Android or iOS apps are required, I will attempt to provide links to equivalent applications for both devices, so as to hopefully allow both Android and iOS users to follow along and replicate my tests and results using any smart phone / tablet device that is available to you.

Windows 10 Users
If you are a Windows 10 User, I highly recommend configuring and installing the Windows Subsystem for Linux
Once configured and installed, you will be able to change from a number of Linux Distributions from the Microsoft Store, allowing you to open one or more Linux Terminals directly from the Windows 10 Start Menu.
NOTE: The Linux Subsystem for Linux still has some limitations with some USB devices which may prohibit conducting a small amount of the experiments outlined on this website.

Apple Mac OSX Users
Many of the linux comands used in these examples are available on the Mac OSX console.
Although I have access to a Macbook, OSX is not my go to operating system, so relevant Mac OSX information may be sparse.
If you are having problems following along with Mac OSX, then please leave a reply post in the thread, outlining where you are stuck,
and I will try my best to provide details instructions for Mac users.

Single Board Computers :: Raspberry Pi / Orange Pi PC / Rock Pi 4
All Linux Examples given have also been tested with the following Single Board Computers, running the following operating systems
Raspberry Pi (Debian OS)
Orange Pi PC (Armbian OS)
Rock Pi 4c (Armbian OS)
If additional software / libraries are required, then corresponding apt-get commands will be provided to allow for the installation of the required dependencies.
The installation of a GUI interface (such as X) will not be required.

Return to “Site News and Discussion”